LONDON, UK, January 31 – Colombia international winger Luis Diaz signed for Premier League side Liverpool on Sunday from Portuguese club FC Porto, putting the future of their Egyptian star Mohamed Salah in even greater doubt.
Diaz, 25, has signed a contract until 2027 for £37.5m (5.7bn shillings), with a further £12.5m in potential bonuses.
“I am very happy to sign for Liverpool,” he said on the club’s official Twitter account on Sunday.
There is no solution in sight to the protracted talks over a contract extension for Salah, who is currently out at the Africa Cup of Nations.
“Liverpool Football Club have completed the signing of Luis Diaz from FC Porto, subject to obtaining a work permit and international clearance,” Liverpool said in a statement posted on their website.
“He joins Liverpool after two and a half seasons with FC Porto, where he made 125 appearances and scored 41 goals.”
Diaz is rumored to be Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp’s main target for the summer transfer window, but growing interest in the player, particularly from Tottenham Hotspur, has forced the Reds to make an early move.
He is currently on international duty with Colombia for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has expressed his delight at Diaz’s signing.
“I couldn’t be happier that we were able to complete this deal and bring Luis to Liverpool,” Klopp said.
“I’ve always believed that you only have to sign players in January if you want to sign them this summer, and that’s definitely the case with Luis.
“He’s an exceptional player and someone we’ve followed for a very long time.
“This team deserved to add quality and when we played against Luis earlier this season (they were in the same Champions League group) we saw how dangerous he was, how quick and how great his mentality was to help his team.”
Liverpool have sent a delegation to Argentina – where Colombia play on Tuesday – to carry out a medical so the move can be completed before the January transfer window closes.
Salah and Liverpool teammates Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino will all be out of contract in the summer of 2023, when they would all be 31.
Diaz would add fresh blood to Liverpool’s front line and enjoys a budding reputation having scored 16 goals in 28 games for Porto this season.
He was also top scorer alongside Lionel Messi in last year’s Copa America with four goals.