Baku, March 31, AZERTAC
Beyond the Icherisheher (Old Town) – a historic core of Azerbaijan’s capital, Baku, which was inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 2000, there is no better There’s no better way to get a sense of Baku’s relaxed Mediterranean atmosphere than by strolling the seaside Baku Boulevard.
The seaside boulevard is one of the most distinctive features of Baku, home to a multitude of sites of historical and architectural interest.
With its unique array of plants and trees, Seaside Boulevard is a favorite spot for local and foreign visitors.
While the first boulevards were created in the 17th and 18th centuries in Western Europe, the history of Baku Boulevard dates back to the beginning of the 20th century when in 1909 a green space was planted between the Caspian Seafront and the street parallel to this.
Construction work in the area began in the second half of the 19th century. A talented Azerbaijani architect, Gasim Bay Hajibababayov (1811-1874), carried out the first engineering works on the waterfront, developing a warehouse construction project there in 1862.
The narrow waterfront, used in the second half of the 19th century mainly for economic purposes, housed the warehouses and docks of various trading companies.
Baku’s sustained development and population growth, declining water level of the Caspian Sea, and the city’s expansion to the waterfront after the demolition of the fortress walls all necessitated an architectural design of the waterfront The creation of a seaside boulevard has been repeatedly discussed in the Baku City Duma. At the end of the 19th century, various plans were developed to improve the waterfront and build a boulevard, but they were not implemented due to lack of funds. This problem was solved thanks to the efforts of Mammadhasan Hajinsky, a talented engineer, skillful organizer and head of the construction department of the Baku city government.
On April 7, 1909, Hajinsky managed to put the construction of a seaside boulevard on the agenda for discussion in the Baku City Duma. It was recommended that the Baku city administration start the implementation of this project as soon as possible. The Hajinsky plan was the first document to provide funds for the construction of the boulevard.
Considering the importance of the boulevard in forming the image of this ancient port city, the Baku City Duma announced a competition for the best project.
About 30 specialists took part in the competition, including leading architects and civil engineers such as Zivar bay Ahmadbayov, Józef Płoszko and Johann Edel. Established architect Adolf Eichler was heavily involved in the landscaping work on the boulevard under Hajinsky’s direction.
Initially, the boulevard stretched from Stone Wharf (now Azneft Square) to Caucasus and Mercury Shipping Company Wharf (now the building of the Abdulla Shaig State Puppet Theater of Azerbaijan).
After the dismantling of a number of quays, the second part of the boulevard was built in the 1930s from the current puppet theater to Bulbul Avenue.
The next stage of development took place in 1936-1938. The improvement and landscaping work on Azneft Square at the Intourist Hotel was already completed at that time.
Further improvements were made to Seaside Boulevard in subsequent years. The Mirvari cafe, the Bahar and Samad Vurgun summer cinemas, the small Venice canals and bridges area and other leisure and entertainment facilities were built here in the 1950s and 1960s.
In 1967, the architect Mikayil Huseynov proposed a project for the reconstruction of the seaside boulevard.
Under the leadership of national leader Heydar Aliyev in 1969, a new stage began in the development of Seaside Boulevard. It was rebuilt in the 1970s as part of large-scale greening and landscaping carried out in the republic and the capital. The boulevard was widened to the east and west, its length reaching 3.7 km.
On December 29, 1998, national leader Heydar Aliyev, who considered the seaside boulevard to be an integral part of the country’s history and culture, signed a decree granting it national park status.
On January 10, 2008, President Ilham Aliyev issued a decree establishing the Seaside Boulevard Department in order to restore the boulevard’s natural landscape, maintain its historical appearance, develop the region’s rich flora, protect the boulevard and oversee social and cultural events. the.
In the area of the Bord de Mer National Park, the vegetation has developed considerably and made even more attractive with the planting of new varieties of trees and flowers, including exotic plants (palm trees, baobabs imported from Argentina and cacti from Mexico).
New attractions, cinemas and pleasure boats are also appearing. The expansion and development of the national park is constantly addressed by President Ilham Aliyev, demonstrating the country’s leadership’s watchful attention and care for the national park.
A number of objects of historical significance have been created on the territory of Seaside Boulevard, including the State Flag Square, the State Flag Museum and the Baku Crystal Hall, an activity and sports complex indoors which hosted Eurovision.
The boulevard was extended in two directions in 2015 in the run-up to the first European Games – the first part, stretching from the national flag square to Bibi-Heybat, was named boulevard Bail, the second – from the port of maritime commerce at Hotel Boulevard, was named White City Boulevard. The White City Boulevard is 2.7 km long and covers a total area of 33 hectares.
As a result of the reconstruction and improvement works, modern cultural, recreational and catering facilities were built on the territory of the new boulevard.
Currently, the national park covers an area of 215,164 hectares, with a total length of 16 kilometers.
AZERTAG.AZ :Baku Seaside Boulevard – one of the most distinctive features of the Azerbaijani capital Baku
© Content on this site must be hyperlinked when used.