Argentinian judge dismisses Maradona’s ex-abuse case

0

BEUNOS AIRES, March 4An Argentinian judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit brought by a Cuban ex-girlfriend of the late soccer icon Diego Maradona for alleged human trafficking.

The case was opened in September after an Argentinian NGO filed a complaint in Buenos Aires after viewing an interview given by the woman, Mavys Alvarez Rego, to American media.

Alvarez, who now lives in Miami with her two children, was 16 when she first met Maradona, then in her 40s.

During their relationship, which lasted four to five years, she said she was raped and held against her will.

His lawyers in Buenos Aires appealed the judge’s decision.

The case was brought against Maradona’s former entourage, accusing them of human trafficking, deprivation of liberty, assault and battery, bondage and smuggling.

But in dropping the case, Federal Judge Daniel Rafecas wrote that the alleged offenses “were primarily committed by Maradona, with the secondary involvement of his collaborators between November 9, 2001 and January 19, 2002”.

Alvarez’s lawyer, Fernando Miguez, argued that the complaint was against the entourage and not against Maradona.

Advertising. Scroll to continue reading.

He said he would press charges against Rafecas and prosecutor Carlos Rivolo.

Maradona is widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history and inspired Argentina to win the 1986 World Cup.

He died in 2020 after undergoing brain surgery on a blood clot and after decades of battles with cocaine and alcohol addiction.

Last year, Alvarez told the Argentine press that during a trip to Buenos Aires with Maradona in 2001, she was held against her will for several weeks in a hotel by Maradona’s entourage, banned from going out alone. and forced into breast augmentation surgery.

She also claimed that Maradona raped her on one occasion at their home in Havana and mentioned several other episodes of physical abuse.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.